The director, Joonas Berghäll, who suffers from chronic Lyme disease and other tick-borne infections, seeks a cure to his illness and answers to why efforts aren’t made to stop the global Lyme disease epidemic. Joonas meets numerous patients, doctors, researchers and experts around the world in search for an answer to the core question: The patients are real, the symptoms are real, the illness and the bacterias that cause it are real. Why is the illness not taken seriously? Why are there hundreds of millions of people suffering?
The Red Ring
- Documentary / 88 min / Finland / 2020
- Original Title: Punkkisota
- Genres: Documentary
- Production Year: 2020
- Country of Origin: Finnish
- Language Spoken: Finnish, English, German, French, Italian
- Duration: 88 min.
- Shot On: Digital
- Format: DCP 5.1
- Director: Joonas Berghäll
- Cast: Joonas Berghäll
- Director of Photography: Lars Skree, Pini Hellstedt, Jani Kumpulainen, Tuomo Hutri, Marita Hällfors, Anssi Leino
- Film Editors: Nils Moström, Timo Peltola
- Sound Editors: Kristian Eidnes Andersen, Jukka Nurmela
- Script Writers: Joonas Berghäll
- Production Company: Oktober Oy
- Producers: Satu Majava
- Composers: Kristian Eidnes Andersen
- Financiers: YLE, Avek, WG Film, Tondowski Film, Creative Europe, SVT, SFI, Nordic Film & TV Fund, Arte, Film I Skåne
The Red Ring at festivals2021:
Kraków Film Festival, Poland
One World – International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival, Czech Rep.